Friday, March 21, 2008

The Prairie Echo Project

The Prairie Echo Project was a compilation of five community-based audio projects, funded by Common Weal Community Arts in Regina. It's goal was to share the diverse understanding of Saskatchewan people and communities by promoting collective voice in a new way. The projects dealt with urban youth, life on the reserve, people living with depression, and the voices of older and rural people. Under the watchful eye of Oin Nicholson from Common Weal,Darryl Miller created a 47 minute audio piece called I Remember. Darryl recorded eight people in Cupar and area, augmenting their stories with sound environments, manufactured sound effects, and music from the Southey German Boys. The participants were Frank Boha, Caroline Hall, Harold Keyser, Bert Krammer, Mead McSweeney, Anna Mlazgar (age 103), Harold Shore, and Walter Smith. On February 8,2003, Darryl hosted a tea for all the people involved and showed some of the video clips that were shot during the audio recording process. Everyone enjoyed Prairie Echo Clips and had a wonderful time. Marnie Badham from Common Weal came out, as well as Bridget Keating, a reporter from CBC radio. Bridgette interviewed many of the people involved including museum board representatives, participants, and even the caterer, Marika. Bridgette then put together two radio spots that aired February 10,2003. Marnie, Darryl, and Elaine Pain shot video at the tea and then Darryl cut together a short 17 minute video called I Remember, to document the event.

Prairie Echo Clips -
30 minute video
Eight individuals from the Cupar area share stories of early life and growing up on the prairies. Director : Darryl Miller. These video clips were taken during production of a 47 minute audio CD called “I Remember”, that was produced with assistance from Common Weal Community Arts in Regina, and support from the Cupar and District Heritage Museum, Shalom-Cupar and District Nursing Home, the people of Cupar, my wife Elaine, and family.


Prairie Echo Clips 2003 from Darryl Miller on Vimeo.
>>>>>>>>>Click the four dots to left of vimeo to see full screen
At Veoh, Google, metacafe, YouTubePart 1, Part 2, Part 3,

I Remember -
18minute video
Documents a special screening of Prairie Echo Clips. A community tea,which brings together the people from the audio CD “I Remember”, with The Board of The Cupar and District Heritage Museum -Director- Darryl Miller. Eight individuals from the Cupar area share stories of early life and growing up on the prairies. Produced with assistance from Common Weal Community Arts in Regina, and support from the Cupar and District Heritage Museum, Shalom-Cupar and District Nursing Home, the people of Cupar, my wife Elaine, and family.



I Remember - 2003 from Darryl Miller on Vimeo.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Click the four dots to left of vimeo to see full screen

At Veoh, Google, metacafe, YouTubePart1, YouTube Part2,

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Harold Keyser, Walter Smith and Harold Shore
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Caroline Hall and participants watch themselves


>>>>>>>>>>Elaine Pain, Dwayne Miller, Irene Miller, and Anna Mlazgar

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Anna Mlazgar
with Marnie Badham from Common Weal >>>>Walter Smith, Harold Shore, Brock Turner, Harold Keyser, Wes Bailey
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Darryl, Elaine, Marnie and Harold Keyser
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you enjoyed any of this FREE Video and the FREE audio CD I Remember, PLEASE donate using the donate link on the left.... so I can continue my work. Although I enjoy documenting history and promoting the town I have lived in for 14 years, it does not pay my bills. This work has taken me many hours to complete, and honestly I am lucky if I made a dollar an hour on these projects. I would be grateful for even a donation of one dollar. I would like to continue this work if I can. I thank you in advance for any amount you can spare. Those of you still living in Cupar are welcome to drop by if this works better for you. Please help.
Email - icecubefactory@sasktel.net

No comments: